Keep your rabbits and other pets happy and healthy this Fourth of July
For many people, nothing beats lounging in the backyard on the Fourth of July with good friends and family - including house rabbit,
cat or dog members of the household, even sharing many of the foods of the season.
While it may seem like a great idea to enjoy the 4th with your animal companions and even to bring them along to watch fireworks,
this can be potentially hazardous to your pets. Please read the following suggestions for a safe and happy holiday:
Always keep matches and lighter fluid out of your pets' reach. Certain types of matches, for example, contain chlorates, which could potentially
damage blood cells and result in difficulty breathing. Lighter fluid is toxic to animals.
Keep your pets on their normal diet during the holiday. Any change, even for one meal, can give your pets severe indigestion and diarrhea.
And keep in mind that foods such as onions, chocolate, coffee, avocado, grapes and raisins, salt and yeast dough can all be potentially
toxic to companion animals. Raisins and grapes are toxic to dogs and unhealthy for rabbits. They are loaded with hard to digest sugars that
can lead to GI upset, overproduction of cecals and gas. Please leave the party food for the humans, our animal friends cannot digest them.
Loud, crowded fireworks displays are no fun for pets, so please resist the urge to take them to Independence Day festivities.
Instead, keep your little guys safe from the noise in a quiet, sheltered and escape-proof area at home.
Close the windows and doors of your home to prevent the loud sounds of fireworks from harming your bunny's ears!
Remember their hearing is much more sensitive than ours. Keep your house rabbit in a safe secure place during the festivities.
Be prepared if your rabbit is frightened - gently hold them and comfort them until the noise is over. Turning on gentle music can help calm them
and provides a constant pleasant sound for them.
Do not apply any sunscreen or insect repellent product to your pet that is not labeled specifically for use on animals.
Ingestion of sunscreen products can result in drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy.
The misuse of insect repellent that contains DEET can lead to neurological problems. Keep bunny away from mosquitoes - avoid fatal mosquito borne
This fourth of July, please keep your rabbit friends indoors where they are safe from mosquitoes, disturbing loud noises and dangerous foods.
The Rabbit Haven wishes you and your bunnies a happy and safe 4th of July holiday.