- Primary Caregiver: When a hamster is adopted from Rabbit Haven, the primary caregiver will be a responsible adult. The hamster will be treated as an integral part of the family, i.e. no group ownership such as a classroom or roommates pet. We do adopt hamsters to adults only as primary caregivers. If a young child is in the home, an adult will agree to supervise play and help children learn safe handling. We are here to help.
- Indoor Housing: Adopters of Rabbit Haven hamsters understand that our hamsters must have their living space indoors, and must spend every day and night indoors. No garage housing.
- Keeping bunny safe: Adopters agree to keep the hamster safe from all predators including other animals in the home..
- Permanent Adoptions: Your adoption is presumed to be permanent. However, if you are unable to keep your adopted hamster due to emergency conditions, death in the family or critical illness, or severe financial issues, we will be glad to assist you to secure a new home for your adopted hamster. Rabbit Haven adopters agree not to surrender the hamster to any other shelter, other rescue group or third party except for a family member will full notification to the Haven. In those cases, we require that you send us the new name, address and email of the family member. We are happy to provide the new family with helpful information and support.
- Returns: The adopter agrees to contact the Director at the Haven if you cannot maintain a home for your hamster and need assistance. It is our intention to see if we can help provide what is needed before we accept the hamster back into the Haven. . Our intention is to keep the family together. We will place your hamster on our wait list as need be and take them back in as soon as possible. Priority given in situations where illness/death of caregiver leaves the hamster without original adopter.
- Adoption to responsible Adults: Rabbit Haven does not adopt rabbits to schools, organizations, or businesses. We are looking for loving, individuals or families who want a hamster companion(s) to share their life. We want hamsters to be in a safe place every day and night. Not left alone in a business facility. We want happy, safe hamsters.
- Education: Adopters will be provided with a full education packet. Successful adopters read this information carefully and call us with any questions they have. Of course our counselors will also go over this with you during your adoption and after the adoption as need be.
We look forward to hearing from you.